Saturday, April 15, 2006

"Jusssssst a bit outside"

The first week has already passed and I'm ready to give you my analysis of the '06 Cards.

The bad news is the Cardinals have already been swept by the Cubs and the bullpen has blown three games (nearly four). The good news, my friends, is that the Cardinals do not traditionally get off to a torrid start and with the experience of 2 straight 100+ win seasons, I prefer ending hot than beginning hot. Do you like how I said "I prefer" as if I have a choice?

Since we have much to discuss for today, let me get straight to my thoughts on the players so far...

Shortstop-#22 David Eckstein: Eckstein is not hitting well but he's been making up for it with a few key hits or walks in some of the games so far. He's also playing solid defense and like the baseball world always says, as long as you're playing solid defense, we can forgive your lack of offense. I'm not at all worried about Eckstein. He did the same thing last year and he's one of the toughest guys, mentally, that you can have.

Right fielder-#43 Juan Encarnacion: Up until today, my favorite thing about Encarnacion was saying his name. I understand it is the beginning of the season and we have yet to see most of the players, including Encarnacion, play up to their potential, but it's a little more difficult waiting around when a new player isn't playing well defensively or offensively. It hasn't helped that he's left a ton of men on base (I'll look the figures up later) and seems a little too impatient at the plate. He strikes out a lot more than I'm used to seeing our players do. Having said that, Encarnacion made a spectacular diving catch in a losing effort to the Cincinatti Reds Friday and Thursday he was robbed of a walk-off homer which would have made him a hero and had the worried Cards fan forget his early miscues for at least a day. Go figure.

1st Baseman-#5 Albert Pujols: Is there anyone else I could be less worried about? No, he's not hitting them all out of the ballpark (yet) but when it is all said and done, he'll rack up the numbers again and we'll be asking why anyone else should be considered the NL MVP. Oh captain, my captain.

Center Fielder-#15 Jim Edmonds: Jim has scared me this first week and a half. It's not even the strike outs that have me all jittery, it's the 3 errors and missed plays that he would normally make. Maybe his age is getting to him or maybe I'm just freaking out all too early like I usually do at the beginning of every year. We'll see.

3rd Baseman-#27 Scott Rolen: Rolen is making a great comeback with already 12 R.B.I.'s and solid contact in almost every game. Nobody knew he'd feel healthy this early. His dazzling defensive work only further excites me at the prospect of being able to watch his handy work at Third for the rest of the year. He's going to be valuable protection behind Pujols. (sigh of relief)

Left Field-#55 Skip Schumaker/#53 John Rodriguez/#99 So Taguchi

: Needless to say, this isn't exactly my idea of what left field should be. I prefer the comfort of knowing there's an everyday reliable starter out there. Still, all three always seem to contribute in one way or another and I haven't seen Larry Bigbie play yet, who's supposed to be the left fielder. Taguchi and Rodriguez did well last year, so I'll give them time. Schumaker always makes me wonder what kind of parents would name their son "Skip". It's just not fair to him. It's bad enough that his last name is pronounced differently every time he steps up to the plate. Anyways, here's another obvious wait and see combo.

Catcher-#4 Yadier Molina: Besides the obvious fact of what Nan would describe as the "too cute, too cute" factor he embodies, Yadier is very exciting to watch. He's a young guy not afraid to rise to the occasion every now and then. His perpetual downside is his inability to run faster than a comatose snail, but that is where the "too cute, too cute" factor comes in. OK, not exactly, but his defense, offense and emerging leadership makes up for that. He can only go up from here. (except for the comatose snail running, I predict one day he may, indeed, run backwards)

Second baseman-#12 Aaron Miles: I know you keep hearing this from everybody else, but I'll go ahead and annoy you as well. Miles has that scrappy Eckstein like quality that makes him likeable. Is it no coincidence that they both happen to be the shortest starting middle infielders since the beginning of the 20th century? (or was it end of 19th century). Either way, he seems to have played well. Nothing too flashy. I don't know if he's the right guy to start all year for second base or if we should get someone during the deadline. I guess I'm just going through a Grudzielanek hangover and expect the awesome defense and non stop double plays we witnessed last year. He also reminds me of my cousin Hassan. Just thought I'd mention that.

Other Bench Players...

#7 Hector Luna-mostly second: If Luna played everyday like he did today, then I'd want him at Second all year. 3 R.B.I.'s, 1 homer, speed and very nice glove work? Sign me up.

#26 Scott Spezio-pinch hitter: He hit a homer today and I like that in a bench player. He has a chunk of dyed red hair on his chin and that's distracting. As the hosts of "What Not to Wear" would say, it makes me look at his red chunk and not the real him. I like the fact that he's different, though. He gives personality to LaRussa's 'consumate professional' team. He also appears to be liked by everyone and that always makes it easier to root for a guy.

#28 Gary Bennet-Back up catcher: Bennet hasn't really made any particular impression on me. I haven't seen enough of him except for when Suppan pitches or Molina needs a day off. He seems to catch well. He isn't Einer Diaz and, if you know me, that helps too. (Ladies and gents, that was Diaz suffering a Badia-burn. Enjoy, I'll be here all week.)

Starting Pitchers...

Chris "Cy Young" Carpenter, #29: (sigh of happiness accompanied by dreamy look on face) The Cy Young winner still looks up to form. Can't wait to watch the rest of the year.

Mark "too cool for school" Mulder, #30: Seems much more in control than last year. Appears to be more comfortable and at ease on the team, as well as on the mound. I think he'll be better than last year and may win 20+ games.

Jason "you lookin' at me" Marquis, #21: Same old Marquis. Has up and down innings but has done well so far. Still can hit. I still enjoy listening to his New York accent and predict he'll join the mob one day and dump someone's body in the back of a strip club. Otherwise, lookin' good too.

Jeff "lets hold hands" Suppan, #37: Suppan hasn't had luck in his first two outtings. Chicago roughed him up but his start against Milwaukee just wasn't fair. It was Carlos Lee's day. That 2nd start was much better and he keeps the Cards in the game, yadda yadda, you know the drill. I wonder if Suppan gets annoyed whenever we all say "at least he keeps them in the game". I know it's supposed to be a compliment but sheesh. Maybe someone should hold his hand.

Sidney "I punch judges" Ponson, #13: I like how he's pitched so far, a good number 5. I believe he can have another year here in St. Louis like he did 2 years ago with the 17 win season. The fans will be behind him and he's sober now. It's always good to have a man who's punched a judge on your team too. It gives us the chance to say "Don't mess with the Cards, biatch, we punch judges". Hard core, man. Hard core.

Bullpen...

Stock Down-Jason Isringhausan, #44 : In the past, he's loaded the bases in the 9th and walked away unscathed... for the most part. This year, he's just being Izzy, except he's blowing it. His unravelling against the Cubs in Chicago was one of the most uncomfortable things I've witnessed in recent Cardinals memory. His inability to find the strike zone was, gasp, a little Ankiel-like. I have faith that like hitters, Izzy is in a slump. He just isn't getting the job done and it's like he's enemy #1 in St. Louis right now, but I have a feeling that come the All Star Break, we'll almost forget that this all happened.

Stock Up- Adam Wainwright, #50: Ahhh, the golden boy in the Pen. He's been the best we've seen out of the bullpen so far this season and seeing that what he throws is only a preview of what could very well be in our starting rotation next year is great. He looks confident. He looks mechanically sound so far. Cha-ching.

* Randy Flores,#34, has done well. Nothing to complain about. Brad Thompson,#48 , has given up a few runs, but he still seems in control and his pitching says, "Take these strikes and do what you can with 'em, cause they'll keep coming." At least we know what to expect. Josh Hancock,#32 , Braden Looper,#41, and Ricardo Rincon,#73, are still in the "learning what our roles are" stage. They've been shakey as well, but we'll give them their time, for now. Can I also just say that with a name like Ricardo Rincon, you were meant to be seen on television. Unlike Skip Schumaker's parents, Rincon's parents knew what they were doing. Bravo.

**Let me hear about your own thoughts for the team so far.

***Tomorrow I'm going to my first game of the regular season. I'll let you know how it goes (Mulder vs. Arroyo). Come on back now, ya hear!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is happiness!

Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on
for as long as there are readers to see them, audiences to hear them. It is
immortality by proxy. It is not really a bad deal, all things considered.
-J. Michael Straczynski

Powered By Blogger