Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I'm Going to Disney World!!!!!!!

What does one say when a dream of theirs comes true and how long does it take to efficiently thank God for what He's Provided?

These are some of the things I've had to ask myself since last Friday October 27th, the day the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals, yes THE 83 win St. Louis Cardinals, beat the Detroit Tigers 4-2 to win the World Series in 5 games. The Cardinals are world champions?! I've been digesting this fact for more than 5 days now and I've yet to get over it. I still find myself going back to the moment we won, the fresh memory lulling me into a stupor I've never been more happy to have. I giggle to myself in my car, smile on the streets and sigh blindly into the ceiling of my bedroom at night before I fall asleep and again as I wake up to relive Friday night over and over and over...

The hours before the game dragged along as slowly as I knew they would. At work, I read up stories about my Cardinals from every which way: Stltoday.com; ESPN.com; CNNSI.com; mlb.com; USAtoday.com...the pages flew before me from one site to another, my hunger for Cardinal coverage all consuming.

I was supposed to attend a "Eid Party" I had been invited to but had made up my mind to stay home in the 24 hours I had realized we could clinch. After all, if I was going to witness the first Cardinals WS championship victory in my lifetime, I had to savor every single moment. I couln't have any distractions beyond my control. None.

As fate would have it, at home we were all distracted by the stupidest things possible. First, there were Ibrahim's toenails. Never one to miss an opportunity, he picked the most inappropriate time to clip his toe nails. As Banan and I urged for him to stop, he tried (and failed) to convince us that the longer he clipped his toenails, the more Justin Verlander walked men on our team.( In a slip of insanity, I almost believed Ibrahim's toe nails actually yielded that kind of power) kholood and Banan had snapped at eachother over whether Kholood would eat too loudly. Finally, there were the cupcakes Kholood brought. "I want the one with sprinkles!" (Ibrahim) and "No! The cupcake with sprinkles is mine, thief!" (me) were actually exchanged. Yes, it's true, we argued over the cupcakes with sprinkles. But to be fair, at no point that night did we call eachother doo-doo face or fart and laugh.

I couldn't believe how well Weaver was pitching or that Duncan played so poorly in right field (I've made up with him since). And I absolutely, positively could not believe Justin Verlander threw that ball away from 3rd base. When that happened, the superstitious part of me started to toy with my emotions. With knots in my stomache, I started to grasp what was happening.

After the 8th inning, Fox showed a shot of Pujols and Edmonds hugging in the dugout and it really took a toll on my emotions. I broke down and started to cry tears of joy. But they weren't just tears of joy at this year's pending championship. The pain of the past was easing as I thought back to the years that I felt built up to this moment. I remembered losing a vital piece of our future, a wild Rick Ankiel, and ultimately the NLCS series to the Mets in 2000.I remembered the 2001 NLCS we lost to Arizona on a game winning hit. I went back to that summer we lost Jack Buck and Darryl Kile and in spite of the pain, our team playing inspirational ball before losing the 2002 NLCS on another game winning hit to the San Francisco Giants. I still shudder at the memory of getting swept by the Boston Redsox in 2004. As if the team we were shocked to see lose all four games wasn't enough, we were made a laughing stock by the callous national media for 2 years since. Last year, we lost the 2005 NLCS, even after that miraculous blast by Pujols in Houston. After that, I started to wonder if our time had passed and if we would ever win.

Alas, we got to hug and high five like crazed lunatics one more time. We got to scream and celebrate like it was 1982. I realized I was going to a victory parade on Sunday. The rush of happiness was overwhelming and welcomed. If you've witnessed your own team win, you know what I'm talking about. But if you've never felt that pride and glory, I highly, highly recommend it. It's hard to describe without sounding elementary. It's your birthday, losing weight, winning the lottery, being loved, sleeping in and eating your favorite food all rolled into one. It's the feeling you get when you land after a flight, laugh until you cry or slump into your warm bed with hot soup on a cold, rainy day...times a million.

For those Cardinal fans feeling down from all the negative press, pay no heed to what these "experts" have to say. Instead, relish in the fact that we have tradition second to none in baseball. Remember that we are second to no one in WS wins in the NL. And remember that we are second to no one in baseball this year. We beat the team with the best ERA, the Padres. We beat the team with the best lineup in the NL, the Mets. And we beat the team that everyone figured was destined to win (or beat us in 3), the Tigers. When no one gave us a chance and when everyone wrote us out as Dead On Arrival, we showed up and played our best baseball all year. We are the World Champions. As for my next goal, I look forward to torturing Cubs fans and wearing my WS Champions shirt to Chicago in the next year. If they attempt to mock us for winning in any which way they're bound to try, I'll simply reply with an evil laugh and say "Don't talk to me, inferior"

And in reply to my first two questions: You dream for more wins. And you can never, ever thank God enough.

No comments:

Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on
for as long as there are readers to see them, audiences to hear them. It is
immortality by proxy. It is not really a bad deal, all things considered.
-J. Michael Straczynski

Powered By Blogger