Saturday, January 05, 2008

One of the End of Time signs: Pats go undefeated...

I know, the title is very Debbie Downer of me. It's just that, um, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I proudly hate on the Pats. Screw 'em!

I was reading this article from ESPN the magazine, begging the question of whether Belichick is actually a jerk or not. I gotta say, even though the author of that article was trying to make a point-in that Belichick is only following the recipe of success and work ethic that many famous Americans are known for-it doesn't help his case in the question of his jerkness. For example, the article cited Andrew Carnegie as someone we can model Bill after because he was apparently on "both sides of the spectrum". They both contribute and donate to charities, yadda yadda yadda, but they also are known for less than boastful situations. In Carnegie's case, steel mill strikes that ended in bloody messes. In Belichick's? Punishing and benching an all star player who had flown out to his grandfather's funeral and didn't return to the Friday practice.

Also, I wouldn't want my main defender in an article questioning whether or not I'm a jerk to be BOBBY KNIGHT, but hey, that's me. I mean, I feel I can obviously respect this little empire of success he has created, but as for his amoral decision-making skills? A-no thank you. Having read the article, I've decided he's basically a jerk who has the ability to do nice things, but wins at all costs-even his soul. Even if it means benching players who go to funerals. Even if it means starting a player with a concussion, and clinical depression as a result of that concussion, against the advice of the team doctor. Even if it means spying or shaking hands after a game like it's something only a Nazi would do. There. That's my head coach rant of the day.

I didn't even watch the Pats play the Giants.

A.) I was hanging with some friends who had only a casual interest in football (but to give them credit, they let me check the score a few times).

B.) If the Pats were going to win, which I honestly expected them to do so more easily than they had, I didn't want to see it. Call me Scrooge. Ba-humbug.

Finally, I don't know why people expect me to feel all glowy and excited about the Patriots going undefeated. I will tell you the only person I am probably happy for, and that's Randy Moss.

I have a fondness for people I feel are unfairly targeted and criticized way too harshly in the media, despite their talent and probably because they say things, or used to, that programs like SportsCenter play over and over again until until some middle aged fat guy at home sitting in his La-Z-Boy recliner with his beer-in-hand feels he can claim Moss is just like T.O. like it is a scientific fact.

So, in a nutshell, go Randy Moss! You show those beer chuggin', middle aged, La-Z-Boy know it alls.

No comments:

Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on
for as long as there are readers to see them, audiences to hear them. It is
immortality by proxy. It is not really a bad deal, all things considered.
-J. Michael Straczynski

Powered By Blogger