Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Clemens the Politician

I didn't watch the Congressional Hearings with McNamee and Clemens today because I didn't really care to. But I am thoroughly impressed with the great lengths at which Clemens is going through to prove his innocence. Do I believe him? No. I don't. Maybe I'm wrong because I believe he's guilty until proven innocent, but I've seen too many lying athletes to believe this one just because he shakes all the congressmen's hands.

It's odd to me that Pettitte would go on record saying Clemens told him he took HGH years earlier while Clemens insists he misheard him. I know if I were such a high profile figure with doubts about my memory, I wouldn't go on record and say I heard the 7 time Cy Young Award winner say something compromising. And the longer Pettitte has talked, the more often he has had time to retract on any of his statements regarding the allegations Clemens took HGH (with Pettitte's wife also backing up her husbands words). But he hasn't. I also think it's odd that McNamee injected Clemens' wife with HGH pior to a photo shoot for Sports Illustrated a few years ago. Did Clemens approve of this? Apparently he "didn't know" and admonished her for doing so after the fact (uh huh). Kind of odd that she would do so once, with his trainer, without him knowing. She already released a written statement saying she regrets it. Is this just one big coincidence that Clemens is the only one who didn't take any performance enhancing drugs? I don't think so. But then again, I could think wrong. McNamee could be wrong. I mean, his stories haven't all been true thus far. Pettitte could of heard wrong. We could all be wrong but Clemens. I just find that highly unlikely.

Perhaps Clemens the politician is doing everything right, but maybe that's because Clemens the player did everything wrong.

No comments:

Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on
for as long as there are readers to see them, audiences to hear them. It is
immortality by proxy. It is not really a bad deal, all things considered.
-J. Michael Straczynski

Powered By Blogger