Friday, November 12, 2010

The Facebook Diet: Day 1

Today wasn't so bad. Being at work for the better part of the day made avoiding facebook easy. I took my lap-top with me so I could blog, and I'm proud to say that I successfully resisted the urge to peek on facebook.

The difficulty of avoiding facebook came once the evening arrived. By 4:57 pm (not that I was checking or anything), I noticed an unusual hike in my need for a facebook fix. At one point I intended to type in a website address that has nothing to do with facebook. I swear to you that my fingers, at their own accord, took me to facebook.com.

dum dum dummmmmmmm .......

Luckily, I was prepared for such a situation and had officially signed out of facebook yesterday to avoid going straight into my home page through accident or break down. I found myself at the sign in page. Finding yourself at the sign-in page of a website you're trying to avoid but cannot because your fingers have the urge to go there anyway is actually funny (which is why I laughed out loud). But it also taught me how determined and obliging my fingers are to type the letters f-a-c-e-b-o-o-k regardless of my intent. Scary.

Mood: Proud

Closest "falling off the wagon" moment: Around 5 pm, when my fingers took me to the site. I felt like I should've visited facebook 4-5 times at this point. Thank you Grilled Cheesus-I was signed out.

Most difficult: To avoid the urge to open and read my notifications in my AOL mailbox. But I did it. I want to do this cleanly. Reading everything people are writing to me on facebook would be cheating, me thinks.

What I learned: It felt good not visiting facebook today. Instead of being disappointed in missing the new posted photos or fun status updates, I was more relieved I didn't have to see so many of my stressors. Interesting. We'll see how well this holds up tomorrow.

No comments:

Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on
for as long as there are readers to see them, audiences to hear them. It is
immortality by proxy. It is not really a bad deal, all things considered.
-J. Michael Straczynski

Powered By Blogger