Monday, November 22, 2010

The Facebook Diet: Day 7

Here we are. Back to social networking capabilities. I'm going off the diet now that I've restricted myself for the seven days. Like any diet, I had to distance myself from the thing that is so wonderful, yet so bad for me.

Mood: capable, dominant, commanding, prevailing...I'm going to be honest, I used thesaurus for the word "powerful".

Closest "falling off the wagon" moment: Apparently it only takes 7 days to master the art of avoiding facebook. At least for me, anyway. You should try it!

Most difficult: There were a number of articles about Palestine or interesting topics in general that I wanted to post on facebook. Every time I thought, "I should post that!" I was immediately diappointed with my dietary restrictions.

What I learned: Ok, you know those studies that scientists conduct, where they conclude something totally obvious and you're response is, "They had to do a study for that!?"?  You know, like, "Scientists conclude people like chocolate because it tastes good" or "People who smile more are generally happier" or "Rain is wet" (I can do this all day, in case you're wondering). 

I'm going to pull that on you with the following words:

Facebook is a huge waste of time.

I know. Stop shaking your head at me. Most obvious conclusion of the century. I don't care. I can honestly say I got so much random work done in the time I would've normally alotted for facebook, I'm still surprised.

You know how it is. Even when we say, "I have to do this. I'm going to do this. I will not go on facebook!" we still go on facebook and eventually avoid the task. Even if it's for a little bit. Then we spend a total of 30 minutes out of the next 60 checking in and out of facebook.

My solution? Find what works for you. What gives you the incentive to take a break? I don't have a lot of experience with this and it's only based on my short term experiment, but I found that making a definite statement to a group that you will not be on facebook for [insert proposal time] gave me the incentive to leave. *If you aren't doing it for the right reasons, it won't work.

 *disclaimer: If you are just doing it for the attention, or in the hopes of receiving a number of responses begging you not to leave, this practice is not for you. You will fail and people will not hate you for craving the attention.

We know it's not easy to keep in touch with all your friends and family. I talked to my sister in law, cousin, grandparents, uncle and aunts in Palestine on the Eid. It was nice hearing their voices, but I wish that I could connect with more of them over facebook. This reaffirmed the positive aspect of facebook. (Sunday Nov. 21st Update:  I just facebook-friended my Aunt in Palestine! Oh how the times have changed.)

 I can't remove it from my life, because facebook has so many people I want to keep in my life. On the flip side, too much facebook gives me that same feeling I get when someone is too close to my face when they talk to me. I need my space.

Space. Connection. Space. Connection. What's a girl to do?

A balanced facebook diet is key. I need it in moderation, but I need it. Don't cut it all out. We don't cut the good, nutritious stuff out with the bad stuff. We learn to teach ourselves what's healthy and what's not.

Eventually, with a L-ahhh-OT of patience, determination, repetition and practice, we figure it out. Our healthier lifestyle, regardless of whether it's found on our plate or web pages, is achievable.

No comments:

Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on
for as long as there are readers to see them, audiences to hear them. It is
immortality by proxy. It is not really a bad deal, all things considered.
-J. Michael Straczynski

Powered By Blogger